Last week on the Local news TV stations, the reporters highlighted the potential for addiciton to social networking sites - Facebook in particular.
I admit that I am "addicted" - but not so severely that it impairs my life. I am addicted to computers and the internet. I love my internet games and wouldn't totally give them up. But keep in mind, these diversions I use are just that - diversions. They keep my mind occupied with things I enjoy so I dont think about all the sad and frustrating real life issues surrounding me.
If I didn't have these places of outlook, I would likely retreat away from any social contact whatsoever. I hate having to go through these tough times this way, but I've been unemployed or underemployed all my life and when I have time to kill I get very depressed. I would rather "kill" the extra moments I don't spend looking for employment busy with a game or some other activity that cheers me than mope around with nothing to do.
The first thing I put aside when offered a chance to work are the unnecessary time-killers. I will still visit them when I have free time, but not as often or as active as previous. I don't see them as so overly important to living and working that they have to consume all my time. To me, they are the tools I use to challenge me; plus they might provide me potential connections to those who may actually hire me.
It is sad that others see Facebook as something they "must" rush home to, or grab every second they can at work to "catch up" with friends. It is good to make friends over the internet, connect with past friends, and talk with them. That should be a part of our personal lives. So should the cell phone text messages we zap off to friends while at work or in transit, but they should not jeopardize peoples' lives or careers. We all have to learn to say enough is enough and turn off that box from time to time for reality checks.
In the meantime, I'll be catching up with friends on Facebook and playing Runescape.
No comments:
Post a Comment