Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Web Host Ramblings

I've kept my word about not returning to twitter, and I noticed on the News that around Aug 10 the site was unavailable due to the results of the hacking attempts. And yet again in September, it was used for more spam tweets and misused/hacked accounts.

It makes me wonder who is in charge of their servers. Honestly, if my server gets attacked, any hacker is diverted and blocked at the server within a short time of the occurrence - certainly no longer than 24 hours after the initial attack. I have had friends who have had notification of their sites being hacked on another hosting service contact me, and together we have tracked down, removed the offending files, and blocked the hacker quickly. If I am capable of that from my tiny little spot on the World Wide Web, how is it that a huge corporation is not capable of accomplishing the same thing? *Shakes head*

I have had yet another promise of a template or theme for the "hosting" site, but he is having a difficult time locating the template. This will be the fourth promise of a theme, but at least I did see a screen shot of it so I am hopeful. In the meantime, my hosting continues to go through my php coding support site until the host domain comes online with a full theme and all the important details necessary for it to be functional. I probably could have designed and coded it by now if it were for the promises of "pretty, shiny" designs. Someday I suppose I should just give up on the endless promises and just make a plain and simple one.

Sometimes I wonder if I should even bother to continue hosting due to the hoard of web hosting sites available. It is difficult to get good clients who will stick with the same hosting. So many go flying off for the next cheapest plan only to find they don't get near the control or the features. A few have come crawling back, but most of them found something they seemed to like better. Or perhaps they were too embarrassed to admit they made a mistake? One can only hope.

No comments: