I've always said that I am not much of a blogger. And with good reason. I see that blogging can become a noisy background to which many can tun out when they get preoccupied with other things. Following blogs is a casual pastime like watching soap operas. Once the story begins to repeat itself or get boring, the audience moves on to richer content.
My daily emails today included an electronic newsletter from Web Pro News highlighting social media and blogging labels. On this point, I find that I have always considered myself less of a blogger and more of a content creator. That is because I prefer to create something that catches attention and can contain it when it happens. If I try to keep posting to my blogs on a very regular basis, I lose interest because I start to run out of things to post. Instead, I found that I can theme my blogs about a topic and post when there is something relevant toward that content.
How does this apply to my internet organization? I now have blogs on travel and kite flying. Granted I have not been able to do any kite flying since I moved, I foresee it as an activity I will take up again once I have my kites back in my hands, or some new ones available to fly. These places are where I organize the content I provide for others, journals that I can add to as I have content to add.
For those who do follow this blog, you already know how I feel about Twitter and certain other forms of social media. I tend to use it sparingly. Were it not for the many fun games that have been created for Facebook, I would not have spent a lot of time on it developing characters on those games. I'm not against social media, but rather I prefer to use it for the networking aspect more than the social aspect. I have accounts on several different sites so I try to keep them interlinked for a better spread of contact with my internet friends and acquaintances.
When someone really wants to find me, they can almost always find me on one or more of their own social media sites. It's like finding me on instant messaging clients - I'm almost always somewhere accessible to 99.9% of my friends. It's the 0.1% that refrain from nearly every type of social media and instant messenger on the internet, and those usually have at least my email or my Google Voice number. If they do have a social media or IM account somewhere, it's either on an obscure site/client or they have opted not to request adding me as a friend. Even those who have stepped on my toes so much that I've limited their contact with me could find me if they really looked hard enough.
As always, when I have something to add here, I will make a new post. With all the recent changes in my internet footprint, that may happen sooner than later.
Work in Progress: Spiral on the Side
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment