Lately I have seen a new flood of questions from my internet friends.
"Do you have XBOX?"
"Do you have PS3?"
"Do you have Wii?"
My answer is the same. It costs money to have those. If I spent the money required to own a console plus games and other plugins, I would not have been able to have and maintain my computer.
*Thinks quietly for a moment, "now just what are they thinking when they ask?" *
Logic dictates that one must have an income to support a gaming habit. XBox, PS3, and Wii are predominently game oriented technological devices. A computer, however, is more than just a gaming device.
A computer can mean the difference between employment and unemployment today. With a computer and internet, one can research employers to find a job, work over the internet, or otherwise use the internet to bring in a little money by selling items no longer needed.
I would like to see the person who has spent their money on a gaming console try to run a Web Host Manager or cPanel with it. Or create snazzy web pages from scratch, with all the graphics, bells, and whistles.
Last time I checked, a gaming console can access the web in a limited manner, including game pages, downloads, and instant messaging and voice communications. But it could not support the software to create those awesome graphics nor could it support a word processor, spreadsheet, or database.
While I would love to have a gaming console or two, it is just not financially feasible at this time. I will stick with my computer for now; thank you very much for thinking to ask.
I hope you enjoy your gaming. I know I will enjoy my games (runescape, facebook, et al) while I am building my massive genealogical database, creating cool graphics, researching employers, dabbling in php/mysql, managing websites, talking in text and/or voice with contacts around the world, .... and blogging (???). Yes, even blogging LOL.
Work in Progress: Spiral on the Side
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment